home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hollandaise Happiness

Hollandaise Happiness



I have to admit that I haven't always loved this sauce. As a child I didn't trust it but knew that something had to be up because of the fuss the adults made about it. I have had it in many forms, some of which I think must be aberrations. (nasty things)

I have now made it a few times myself with varied success. This past week though I found a fast, and fabulous recipe for it. It is made in the blender. Here is the recipe.

Fast & Fabulous Hollandaise Sauce

3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Salt
Dash of hot sauce
1/2 cup melted butter

Blend the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and hot sauce in the blender. Melt the butter and bring to a boil on the stove top. You want to boil it until it start to brown (like an light tan) this starts to caramelize the flavor of the butter and really opens it up.
Turn on the blender with your egg mixture in it. Start gradually pouring the boiling butter into the running blender in a steady stream. It will thicken quickly.
Serve immediately with your steamed vegetables or on eggs Benedict. (that sounds so yummy, I might have to get some fixing for that tomorrow!)
Enjoy!!

If that doesn't "feel" cooked enough for you, you can place it in a double boiler over hot water. You really have to watch it though. It can curdle which isn't cool. (you can fix that though by adding a table spoon of boiling water to it and mixing it well.
You have to serve this immediately. It is not something that is meant to last a long time so fix it very last before serving your food.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds great! The picture looks amazing - I'm a huge asparagus fan!
Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

That sounds delish! I am going to give it a try this week... test it out on the family! Thanks for the recipe.
:)

Marylois said...

I discovered Hollandaise sauce after I got married. I guess mom never fixed it when I was young. I love it but have always made it in a double boiler. I'll have to try this method. It does look easier.

Anonymous said...

I make it this way, too. I used to do the slow method, adding one little pat of butter at a time over very low heat. Then Doug discovered this recipe in my Joy of Cooking. We compared the two sauces side by side (as I was CERTAIN the slow method was better), and I could not tell the difference. I always make the blender sauce, now. I can't understand why restaurants serve the "aberant" sauce when this is so easy, but I've never had a good hollondaise sauce at a restaurant.

Lil

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...