home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Marilyn's Oatmeal Cake - Birthday Post

My oldest boy turned 13 this week. I have to say the thing I love most about my boy is his simplicity. He loves simple things. He didn't ask for anything for his birthday. He got some money and wanted to go to the flea market to find some old treasures. He had a ball just looking at old junk and finding "the groovy" in it. When I pressed him for something he wanted he said that a jar of pickles all to himself would be about the coolest thing ever. (he has 4 younger siblings and the thought of possession of food only for himself was pretty tempting). So his sisters got him a jar of pickles and promises not to snitch them, and a jar of Nutella all to himself. He thought that was a real treat.
That is what I mean the boy loves the simple life. Nothing makes him happier that free time out in the woods in our backyard. We asked him what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday and all he said was that he wanted an apple pie. So his little sister made him one. We did get out of him that he does like the oatmeal cake recipe I got from my mom. So we made that. Here is the fabulous cake recipe. It has to date back to at least the 1950's if not before. It is pretty fabulous.

Marilyn's Oatmeal Cake

Cake 1
(You know when you find an old recipe that looks like this, you have found a real treasure. Recipes only look that beat up when they have been made about 1000 times.)

Cake 2
Pour 1 1/2 cup boiling water over
1 cup oatmeal
Let stand

Cream and add to cooled oatmeal
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs

Mix well.
Blend in:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Pour into a greased pan and bake at 375 deg. F for 35 minutes.

Frosting:
Mix:
6 Tbsp Butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canned milk (any milk will do, even cream)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Cook till thick (10 minutes) and add 1/2 cup coconut and 1/2 cup nuts. Beat until it can be spread.

(I followed those directions and it separated on me and the butter came out, so I added about 3/4 cup powdered sugar and it fluffed up into the yummiest frosting ever. )

(I also increased the amount of the nuts and coconut to 1 cup each)
Cake 3

8 comments:

All the places you love said...

Lucy,
Mom got the recipe sometime in the mid 60's.

HJ Labores said...

Es toda una gozada encontrar recetas de este tipo, la tarta tiene que estar riquisima.

MyCretanlife said...

Happy birthday to your son. Sounds like he got just what he wanted.
The cake looks yummy. I just might have a go at that, only thing, we don't use cup measurements so will have to find a conversion chart.

Susan said...

My mom used to make this cake for us too! Except the icing that she put on it was a broiled coconut icing with almost the same ingredients as you made, it is delicious. Maybe you would like it better with this version though: Broiled icing - 6 TBSP butter, 1/4 c. brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 c. milk, 1 cup chopped nuts, 1 cup flaked coconut, and 1/4 tsp vanilla. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small saucepan, heat until bubbly. Pour and carefully spread over cooled cake. Then place under broiler for about 1 minute or until golden brown. Let cool and enjoy. It is one of my favorite cakes!

Marylois said...

boy, if looking at the recipe doesn't bring back memories! Joes's simple wish list reminds me of a young man in my seminary class. For one of the lessons of the Law of Consecration I asked him if money was not object what would he want. He thought for a moment and then said there was this really cool spy kit at Wal-mart and that's what he wanted. The thing probably cost all of $10.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made it this weekend and my family loved it. Instead of frosting it, I sprinkled butterscotch chips and chopped walnuts on the top. VERY YUMMY!!! Next time I'll put the chips and nuts on after it bakes because they sank. Oh well. Still a real treat!

Yarni Gras! said...

what a wonderful story! And thanks for the recipe....looks like another one I'll have to try :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminded me of a story my Momma
(75)told me about her Brother. It was in the forties in Germany. Her brother asked for a loaf of bread and a cube of butter all to himself for his birthday.

Thanks for the memory. Sounds like you have a wonderful Son.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...