home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Littlest Pirate

I am afraid I didn't get many photos take of the Halloween happenings this year. I meant to but kept forgetting the camera and had 101 places I had to be that day. What a bummer. They were such cute little kids.
I did manage to get this shot of the Littlest Pirate.
Sweetest Pirate

November 1st is his birthday. I did happen to get a couple photos of that but not many either. I had a meeting I had to go to so I made is cookie, gave it to him, gave him his gift, watched him unwrap it and squeal with delight, and then ran out the door. :o( He turned the big 2 this year.

Birthday Train
We opted for a Train Cookie rather than a traditional cake. JEB is train obsessed right now. He was so thrilled when he saw it. What wasn't to like; trains and candy, the best! His big sisters decorated it for him.

He kept blowing his candles out before we could get a shot. We did it 3 times and gave up. He and his daddy did have fun though.
Make a Wish

When I did get home from my meeting, JEB greeted me at the door and let me know what he thought of his present.
Tom 3
"Love a train!"

More train madness.
Tom 2
Tom 1

The cookie recipe used is an adaptation of the traditional sugar cookie recipe I use. I tried subbing some more healthful ingredients. We all loved it.

Flaxseed "Sugar" Cookies

Mix and set aside:

2 cups white flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 cup ground flax seeds

In a mixing bowl cream:

1 cup butter

1 cup sucanant

1 egg

When this is fluffy, add

:1/2 cup buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla

Really mix this well and get it good and fluffy.

Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

*(a note on the addition of nutmeg, If you are going to bake these right away, the nutmeg flavor is a little strong so in that case I leave it out. However, if you can leave the dough in the fridge for a couple of days, the nutmeg mellows out and gives these cookies the most wonderful flavor.)

Roll the dough out on a well floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut as desired. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375*F for 10 - 12 minutes.

Personally I like these cookies a little brownish. I like them crispy. Just my own personal preference.

I did frost these with the thinest bit of buttercream frosting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

all those trains around looks like my house. i cant walk across thefloor with out taking a steamy to the instep.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...